Tuesday, October 12, 2010

SPSE 6810 #5



I chose to talk about the article "Green Schools Don't Make the Grade". I am very passionate about recycling and trying to be "green." I really liked that someone was trying to make a difference by encouraging and providing rewards for schools that became more green. I thought it was very unfortunate that it was not researched well enough to have actual results closer to the expected results.


I do firmly believe that schools in America can be greener. I lived and worked in Japan for two years at two high schools teaching English as a foreign language. Luxuries that we take for granted in America would be considered a huge waste in Japan; while things that were taken for granted in Japan would have been a big "inconvenience" here. For example, air conditioning and heat. Students had to pay tuition to attend school and (at my schools) they had to pay extra to have air conditioning and heating. Even then, air conditioning and heating was only used when the temperature hit certain temperatures. Where I lived in Japan had very mild temperature, though, and rarely went below freezing or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. My schools also had separate trash cans for different items. Plastic, paper, drink boxes, and cans were also separated. Students also spent usually 15 minutes every afternoon to clean the classrooms and school grounds. Lights and air/heat were only used in rooms being used, and hallways and bathrooms were not kept warm/cool. The schools saved a lot of money, of course, on energy. They also saved on food/drink items and disposing of them. Because they were so conscientious of their waste, companies used materials that were easier to dispose of on their goods.


Teachers and students, both, worked together to keep the campus clean and efficient. Teachers kept their attitude positive and always tried to teach the students how to live well and treat others (and nature) well. Japan does a lot of what it does out of necessity. They are a small country with limited resources. It was so ingrained into the culture that even my rebellious students know to properly dispose of trash, and that they are responsible for what they leave behind.



I am happy that people were making an effort to better the schools in America, but I hope that this failure does not stunt other efforts in the future. I think there is definitely room for improvement, but it may not be something that can be easily fixed in a short period of time. I think it will take time and a complete adjustment on opinions, values, and attitudes.


(My favorite Japanese word/saying:Mottainai)

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting post! We could certainly learn a few lessons from the Japanese.

    ReplyDelete