Thursday, September 23, 2010

SPSE 6810 #2 Glamorous Grammar

I think grammar is necessary if students want to pursue a professional or academic career. I do agree that Standard English is a dialect, and that no certain dialect is should be considered better or worse than another. I also agree, though, that to advance in America there are some dialects that are more accepted than others.

I think students will learn better when they have many resources available to them. Personally, I think reading is the best way to learn about spelling, sentence structure, and grammar. Computers can provide other opportunities for students to use their knowledge and learn more. Students can research on the computer and then form informative paragraphs to present later. Students can also play interactive games that may teach about grammar. Good grammar books and workbooks are beneficial as well. I like Daily Oral Language (DOL), and providing opportunities for students to work together to find mistakes or to check each others' work. It is important that the teacher includes multiple ways of learning grammar, so that students can find a method that best suits them. I am a visual person, but I do best when I absorb material in multiple ways. If I hear, see, and correct grammar myself I will remember it better than only completing sentences in a workbook.

1 comment:

  1. I like the use of computers and Daily Oral Language with ELLs as well. What are some specific activities that you might use to teach grammar?

    ReplyDelete