Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Experiences in Methods Class

I am always grateful for Methods classes, because I know these will be the classes most helpful when teaching in the classroom. In this class we have worked on: learning how to assess which materials are worth using, useful tools/activities to use with the students, and about literacy development. I learned how to make and use activities like choral reading, cloze passages, writing prompts, and anticipatory guides. These activities can help develop reading comprehension, fluency, vocabulary and phonics. I am also happy to have all my work posted on my wiki. I know I will remember learning about all of these activities, but it will be very helpful to have an easy way to access my work later.

I enjoyed using the SOLOM instrument and Oral Language Development instrument to assess the student's level of English proficiency. I have always been unsure of which level a student is at and these charts gave me a better idea of each level's criteria. I found that I preferred the OLD instrument more since it used very easy descriptions of each level. I also learned that it is easier to assess a student during a conversation, rather than during a recitation.

I know I will use all of the activities I learned about in this class to help develop the skills of my students. They can benefit from the variety of activities and it will also make the class more interesting and engaging. The newsletter will also be a great tool to use in the class. I can use the newsletter to keep the students informed as well as involving the families of my students.

For upcoming students, I would advise keeping the wiki updated and as accurate as possible. I have tried to work on the wiki very thoroughly throughout the class, but I also like to go back and make improvements when I learn new information. I am impressed with what I have learned and created after I look through my wiki. I know I'll refer back to it when I am unsure of an activity or need ideas. :)

http://eslfun4students.wikispaces.com/

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice, Sam! I will "look" for you in future classes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete